Knights swept by Rebels

A 4-2 final Thursday followed with a 3-1 decision Friday afternoon, with both games going in favor of the Jamestown Rebels at Revolution Ice Centre.

Sacha Guillemain scored both Wilkes-Barre/Scranton goals in the Thursday loss. Alex Frye found the back of the net twice for the Rebels as well, with his second being the game winner, putting Jamestown ahead late in the second period.

The Knights were successful in scoring once on the power play, while also killing off seven penalties. Zach Stejskal was in net, taking the loss with a 49 save effort.

Stejskal also started Friday’s tilt, and again had to be stellar. The Minnesota-Duluth committed goalie stopped 43 shots in the 3-1 Wilkes-Barre loss.

Jamestown jumped out to an early lead 4:50 in when center Noah Finstrom got a second whack on an initial goal line shot, beating Stejskal under the right leg pad for a 1-0 lead.

Both clubs had numerous power play opportunities, but little generated through the rest of the first and second periods. Jamestown and Wilkes-Barre exchanged possession throughout, but very few of the combined 37 shots through a pair of periods seemed dangerous.

When the third began, energy rose from both sides. Wilkes-Barre defender Davis Pennington tied the game 3:57 into the third on a shot towards the Rebels goal that bounced off the skate of Nick Petruolo and in past net minder Ryan Keane.

The Rebels answer came on a power play; their eighth of the game. After failing to score on any of the previous efforts, Jim Glynn potted the game winner. Frye’s point shot got blocked, but the leading scorer for the Rebels re-collected the puck and drove to the net, freeing up an eventual secondary chance for Glynn to beat Stejskal.

A golden opportunity presented itself for Wilkes-Barre to get back into the game with Noah Finstrom and Evan Orr each going to the box with less than three minutes to play. Finstrom, however, was assessed a double minor, giving the potential option for a six-on-four advantage favoring Wilkes-Barre. Instead, the team never kept possession and eventually got the net empty with a minute to go, only for Caleb Price to net his first NAHL goal shooting it from the length of the ice to make the final 3-1.

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton falls to 6-14-1. Up next is a set of games with the New Jersey Titans to close out November.