EHL Showcase Recap: Knights Split Pair of Games in Walpole

The Knights traveled to Massachusetts this weekend for the EHL Showcase, looking to generate positive momentum following last weekend’s series against the Revolution.

The Showcase, a chance for players to display their talents in front  of scouts, operates in a unique format, playing two, 25-minute halves as opposed to three, 20-minute periods.

Friday: Vermont Lumberjacks 4, Knights 2

The Knights opened the showcase with a quick start, netting their first goal off the efforts of Tyler Nielsen, assisted by Austin Weber just 3:00 into the contest. The score would hold as the Knights defense, led by goalie Jared Stahel were able to keep Vermont off the board for the first 15 minutes.

At 15:33, the dam broke as the Lumberjacks kicked off a scoring wave that began with Kyle McDonald picking up a tally off assists from Logan Discanio and Andrew Bechard. McDonald would notch another pair to complete a first-half hat trick, with his second goal coming at 17:30 (Bechard, Discanio), and the third at 24:08 (Andrew Barber, Max Roth). Vermont would end the first half of play with a goal from Discanio on helpers from McDonald and Bechard.

The second half remained relatively even, as the Knights outshot Vermont 16-13 in the 25:00, but could only mount one goal Lumberjacks goalie Chris Stangarone. That tally came at the 1:03 mark off the efforts of Jake Fuss, as Wilkes-Barre/Scranton’s leading scorer picked up his 10th goal of the season. Alex Morawski was credited with the lone assist.

The rest of the game wound down without a goal, seeing Jared Stahel stop 30/34 shots on goal on the day and Stangarone 28/30 as the Lumberjacks picked up the win.

Saturday: Knights 3, Valley Jr. Warriors 2

Looking for a rebound game on Saturday, the Knights went to battle with the Valley Jr. Warriors on the morning of day two of the Showcase. The Warriors drew first blood just 56 seconds in following a Brian Smith goal, assisted by Tim Kalinowski.

The Knights didn’t take long to respond as Jake Fuss scored his 11th goal of the year, and second of the weekend at 2:01, unassisted. Following up the Knights first goal of the morning was Anthony Starzi with his third on the year, assisted by Fuss. The 2-1 lead held through end of the first half.

The second period saw both defenses clamp down in their own end as netminders Thomas Walker and Landon Anderson traded saves, while both sides traded trips to the penalty box. After a scoreless 24 minutes, the Warriors pulled Anderson. Shortly thereafter, the Knights took a five-minute major resulting in 6-on-4 play. In the game’s final minute, Tyler Nielsen cleared the puck down the ice and into the vacant Warriors net to put Wilkes-Barre/Scranton ahead 3-1. In the game’s final second, the Warriors would get one back on the power play from Tyler Matts (Owen Schiffmann) to end the contest 3-2. Knights goalie Thomas Walker stopped 21 of 23 shots to earn his first win of the season.

The Knights will look to build on the victory when they face off against the Philadelphia Little Flyers at the Revolution Ice Centre on Thursday, October 19th at 2:30 pm.